Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Taking stock

Another blogger Townsend House got me thinking.  Thinking about stock.  No not the kind that seems to be falling every time I read my statement.  Homemade stock; chicken, vegetable and even turkey!

Homemade stocks are time consuming but can be a real labor of love.  There's nothing like homemade recipes from start to finish.  Knowing exactly what's in your food is priceless.

Because it is so labor intensive, I like to make enough stock that I can freeze and then defrost when needed.  Though I've never made turkey stock, I imagine it's a great way to use up some holiday turkey.

I have made vegetable stock.  Full of flavorful veggies and spices. I also use Kombu in this recipe.  Kombu is a sea vegetable of the kelp family.  It's nutrient rich in protein, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin B9 and iron.  It's very flavorful and is most commonly used in soups and stocks.
The recipe that I use you can find here.  This is one of my favorite cookbooks, you can see it on my sidebar.

As cold and flu season is upon us, a batch of homemade stock with Kombu may be just the thing your immune system needs!  Don't save stock just for soups and stews.  It gives great flavor to rice and pasta instead of water.

Hoping all of you remain healthy this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment