Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Meatless Mondays

Yes I realize it's Tuesday but I'd like to chat about Meatless Monday!

I love the concept of Meatless Monday.  Eating humanely, decreasing our carbon footprint.  For a vegetarian like me, it's no different from any other day.  However, it's getting more and more people to think about what kinds of foods they're putting into their bodies.  I love it!  Maybe soon there will be GMO Free Friday??  Just some food for thought.

Yesterday I was in Trader Joe's (one of my favorite places) and I was thinking of what to make for dinner.  As I was walking up the eisles, I thought "Ooh, a can of this, a jar of that, a bag of greens and some pasta." Perfect!  This is how I love to cook most often, no real measurements just creativity and "A little of this and that."

I will do my best in recreating this recipe for you, because it was oh so good.  Everyone loved it!  When you have kids, that's a big deal.

1 pound bag of Orchiette pasta (or your favorite) Orchiette means 'little ears' in Italian. I love the cup shape, scooping up little bits of other ingredients with every bite. - Cook al dente, drain

Ingredients:
1 14.5 oz can of Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 8.5 oz jar of Julienne Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
1 6 oz bag of Organic Baby Spinach
1 cup sliced baby portabello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Italian seasoning
salt, to taste
parmesan cheese

1.Heat saute pan over medium heat.  Using the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes saute garlic making sure not to burn (it get's bitter)
2.Add mushrooms and saute until tender
3.Add sun-dried tomatoes and beans, cook until warmed through. Add about 1 tbsp of Italian Seasoning and mix
4.Add spinach and cook until wilted
5. Transfer to large serving dish and add cooked pasta and stir to combine
6. Serve with parmesan if desired

I hope this recipe and directions are clear to you.  My husband and I also addred red pepper flakes to our individual dish  It's a delicious on pot meal for the entire family!





1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love this recipe - easy, healthy and economical too! I'm all for GMO free Fridays too! Sign us up ;)

    ReplyDelete