Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The creation of Healthy Appetites

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about nutrition and it's effects on children's learning, behavior and health.  It brought me back to why I created Healthy Appetites in the first place.

When my daughter was in Kindergarten, I volunteered in the classroom quite frequently.  Spending a lot of time there, I noticed the types of snacks that children were being sent to school with.  I was deeply saddened by what I saw.  Candy, drinks loaded with sugar, chips, cookies.  So little fruit, veggies, proteins or even water.  I wondered...Why?  Why would a parent send their child off on their day with food that does so little for them?  I've come to understand that we all are doing the best we can with the knowledge that we have.  We all believe we are doing the right thing.  It's as basic as that.

This understanding had lead me to believe that if we started with educating the children than maybe we could make a change to healthier eating.  If we educate the children on how to eat healthy, how to cook healthy, what healthy really means; maybe in turn the children will educate the adults in their lives.  I honestly believe that we only know what we know.  We will never know all we can or even need to; but we must continue to educate ourselves.

And so Healthy Appetites began.  I'm not a health expert.  I'm not a nutritionist or dietitian.  I am a mom who, like any mom, loves her children.  Who wants the very best for them. I want to fill their bodies with all the nutritious food they need to become strong and healthy. I love to cook and want to share that passion with my children in hopes that someday they will love to cook too.

Thank you for taking time to read my blog, to make the recipes I share so you can share them with your family.  I'm very grateful to you.  May we all continue to strive to do better.  To make a difference.  To keep learning and sharing.

Thank you!

Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and business, you are talented and I love that you are doing your part to educate children and their parents to make healthy choices! I agree, it's all about education!!!

    ReplyDelete