Thursday, March 6, 2014

Zucchini Bread

I'm a believer that positive thoughts bring positive results.  Whatever you say, feel or think and put out into the universe comes back to be true.  Well here it goes....I am positively over winter! I'm ready for warm sunshine and green grass.  Birds singing and the smell of spring in the breeze!  Come one Mother Nature I'm yelling Uncle!

With that said, I decided to bake a Zucchini bread with some left over zucchini I had in the fridge.  This squash reminds me of warmer times.  It's dark green skin, so beautiful.   Ugh, I think I'm going loopy.  Or maybe my brain has froze.  Along with my appendages....  If my husband hears me say "I'm cold" one more time, it may be the end!

1 1/2 cups of Gluten Free flour.( Again I used this blend. I really do like this.  Bob's Red Mills is a great brand to use as well.)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. honey
1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg ( I use, omega enriched organic)
2 tbsp. Flaxseed ( this is a wonderful source of omega 3 as well)

Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan, set aside.  In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and flaxseed.  Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the syrup, zucchini, cooking oil and egg.  Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined. 

Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool completely on the wire rack.

Enjoy!




 
 
 
Although the bread didn't rise like wheat quick breads, it was still incredibly moist!

 
Packed and ready for the kids snack tomorrow!  I know I'll enjoy mine with a hot cup of coffee!
 
 
I know that Spring will soon be here.  I has to come!  Until then I will continue to be positive and think happy thoughts! :)
 
 
 
Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good, I love that it includes both honey and maple syrup! I'm with you, dreaming of warm Summer days, the beach and butternut!!!!! Winter has to end eventually!

    ReplyDelete