Monday, April 18, 2016

Hummus Recipe

I get tired of making school lunches!  Really, I do!  I make 177 lunches (give of take) times 2....that's 354 lunches!  Not to mention the 354 snacks I make and pack too.  
I want these meals and snacks to be healthy ones; consisting of protein, fruits, vegetables and good fats.  There is a lot of thought put into this, it's only natural to get kind of bored.  You can relate, right?

There is trial and error with coming up with so many meals.  When you come up with the ones that the kids love, hold onto that, bookmark it and keep in the repertoire.  Hummus is just one of those recipes.  My kids eat A LOT of hummus.  I was finding that I was buying two or three containers  a week at the grocery store.  It can get a little pricey.  So I came up with a recipe that is just as good and costs MUCH less.

Hummus

2 cups garbanzo beans (also known as chick peas)
1/4 cup of liquid from the garbanzo beans
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced ( or more if you love garlic hummus)
11/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp sesame tahini (found in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store)
2 tbsp olive oil

Blend until smooth. ( I use a food processor but a blender will work too.)

THAT'S IT!!  Easy, right?!!

I store it in a container in the fridge.  Heck, recycle a store bought hummus container! 



What are some healthy, kid-friendly recipes you make and love?  Share them with me in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment