Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lemon Rainbow Chicken

Recently I've been trying a couple new recipes with the family.  Trying to "mix things up".  I for one get bored with the same old thing.  I don't like feeling stuck in a rut about meal time...though I do feel that way sometimes.

This recipe I made last night was a success and I'd like to share it with you.

Lemon Rainbow Chicken is a one-pot meal that is jam packed with nutrition.  A rainbow of your family's veggies, quinoa and chicken.  It can also be custom-fitted to your family's nutritional needs such as vegan, gluten- or dairy-free. 

Besides it being extremely good for you, I love the fact it's a one-pot meal.  This helps during those busy week nights when getting a healthy meal on the table can be a challenge.  Less fuss, clutter and my husband appreciates the less dishes to wash!

 
Ingredients
 
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 cups dry quinoa
4 cups organic vegetable broth or free range organic chicken broth
3 chicken breasts or tofu cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup lemon juice (juice of 3 lemons)
sea salt and pepper to taste
Rainbow of veggies: 3-4 cups of your family's favorite, chopped.
I used:
Red: red bell pepper
Orange: shredded carrot
Yellow: yellow bell pepper
Green: zucchini
 
 
In a large pot, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic.  Add the quinoa, broth and chicken (or tofu).  Bring to a boil and cover.  Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper.  Stir in your veggies, replace the cover and cook a couple minutes more.
 
Sprinkle with cheese, slivered almonds and/or red pepper flakes if you'd like.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 





I absolutely love sitting down with my family every night for dinner.  We talk about our day, sharing our favorite and not so favorite parts.  Just reconnecting and enjoying each others company.  Such a special time....I hope you all enjoy your family dinners too!

No comments:

Post a Comment