Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Another Hail to Kale!

Many of you know how much a I love and appreciate Kale.  Of all things, I know.  But it's so incredibly delicious and good for you....plus my kids love it!


Recently when I found a recipe for Kale and Cole Slaw salad, I was immediately intrigued.  Though the original recipe called for the standard Cole Slaw mix of cabbage and carrots I decided to use Broccoli Slaw instead.  Similar to the original,  it uses the stalk of broccoli instead of cabbage.  Same crunchiness as cabbage but to me it gives it more nutrition value.  And I don't know about you, but I  like to try and avoid mayo based salads during the summer and use a lemon juice and olive oil vinaigrette instead.  Mayo in the heat of summer creeps me out!





Kale and Broccoli Slaw salad.

5 cups each: Organic Tuscan Kale and Organic Broccoli Slaw mix.  (Tuscan Kale is the curly, dark green variety)
Mix together the veggies in a large bowl.

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice.
1/3 olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt.
Whisk all the ingredients together.  (If bringing this salad to an outing, I like to make the vinaigrette and store in a mason jar.  Shake jar and pour onto salad right before serving.)

Pour vinaigrette onto slaw and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sunflower seeds.  I also like to use pumpkins seeds if I don't have any sunflower seeds available.


Sometimes I double the recipe to feed a crowd or my son who most often has seconds or thirds! :)  Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I missed this the other day - looks fantastic! I'm with you, it creeps me out to have mayo in the Summer salads. I'll add the ingredients to my list for the weekend! Looks like the perfect Summer salad! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome my friend; enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made it - so delicious! I'll be making this with a side of Lemon Chia Bread and Trader Joes Med Hummus! Just got back now from the Joes run - so good!

    ReplyDelete