Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bagels

There's something quite yummy about a warm toasted bagel.  I like mine with Earth's Balance and green Tabasco.  Really it is quite good, you should give it a try.  My children prefer theirs with cream cheese and my husband, peanut butter.  With all of us each eating so many bagels (no we don't really count our carbs), we go through quite a lot of bagels.  A friend of mine sent me a link to making my own Boiled Bagels; and I thought I'd give it a go.
 

At first, the idea of making my own bagels seemed a bit daunting.  There are quite a few steps, such as kneading the dough then letting it rest.  Shaping the dough into bagels and letting them rise.  But it really was actually easy.
The dough, after kneading, was a bit stiff but shaped into smooth balls.  Poking a hole into the center of the ball and enlarging it created the uniform bagel shape.
 
After boiling the bagels for seven minutes, turning halfway, the bagels had an almost "dumpling" feeling.
 
 
Look how golden and lovely these are after baking!  And they were so airy and light!
One recipe yields 12 small bagels.  The size of the bagels are much better, in my opinion, than the overly large bagels we purchase in stores or bakeries.

My daughter proclaims they taste better than the ones we buy.  I think I'll be making these again...and again!
 

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa! I am making these!!!! They look so delicious and I've never tried to make bagels before! I love the fact that you eat yours with butter & Tabasco....do you know I am addicted to crushed red pepper, salsa? Anything! I eat English muffins with butter at hot pepper almost every. single. morning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are kindred spirits Jess! These bagels are AMAZING! There is only 1 left out of the 12 I made Sunday.... Time to make the bagels! :)

    ReplyDelete