Monday, March 2, 2015

Weekly Newsletter: Joy, Excitement, Happenings and Chia Seeds






One of my assignments for school this week was to post a picture of how I'm feeling at this point in my learning.  I chose this picture.  The colors of the sunset are so peaceful, it's depicting me being at PEACE with where I am in my wellness journey.  Jumping for JOY and EXCITEMENT for the journey that I'm on, all that I'm learning and all that still lies ahead of me.



I just returned home from a wonderful vacation with my family.  We soaked up LOTS of Vitamin D, I logged many running miles (34 to be exact), farmers markets, delicious food, ice cream (oh it's been a while), roller coasters (4 - with my son and dad!), screams, laughter and so much love.  There's nothing like spending time with family and feeling the deep appreciation for each other.  I'm feeling very blessed!


Healthy Happenings!

Wednesday, March 18th 6 pm

I'm very excited to have the opportunity to speak at the Horne Street School PTG meeting.!
I will be discussing the importance of Healthy Nutrition and PLAY for children.  I will also be sharing a healthy snack that's easy to prepare.
FREE childcare will be provided.
I hope to see you there!


Healthy Recipe of the Week!

While vacationing, my parents had provided us with all our favorite foods.  We have a food allergy in the family as well as just living a healthy lifestyle, her fridge was full of nutritious foods for everyone.  One of the ingredients she bought was chia seeds. At the end of our time together, "What am I going to do with these?" my parents asked.  Adding them to smoothies, muffins, oatmeal, jams are just a few suggestions.  I also shared with them a favorite recipe of mine, Lemon Chia Seed Bread. Similar to a Lemon Poppy Seed Bread, this chia seed version is delicious and more nutritious for you!  I've shared this recipe here before, but I'd like to share it again for those who may have missed it


I've changed the recipe slightly since last time I made this.  I use multigrain pastry flour instead of unbleached white flour; giving the bread even more nutritional value!  Feel free to use whatever kind of milk you'd like.  Hemp milk is another great dairy free option, again boosting the nutrients!  It's a delicious quick bread, I hope you like it!



Much love, 
Alyssa
ox

No comments:

Post a Comment