Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chicken on a stick

Seriously, what kid (or kid at heart) doesn't like food on a stick?  For what ever reason, that stick makes the food on it much more appealing.  Serve it with something to dip it in and you're Super Mom!

My second recipe from the Weelicious Cookbook was Chicken on a Stick.  Using all natural chicken tenders made the chicken moist and delicious.

The breading was not breading at all but corn flakes!  My kids were skeptical about this.  "Corn flakes? On chicken?" Yes!  Plus it's wholesome and fiber full if you use a good quality cereal for the coating.  An extra bonus....these are baked, not fried!!  My husband (the kid at heart) claims this was the best chicken I've ever made.  He requests that all chicken be baked in corn flakes instead of bread crumbs.  Well.  There you have it.....these were a winner.


I didn't have buttermilk on hand. Instead I used milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.  This worked great!

 
I put the corn flakes in the food processor and pulsed until they resembled bread crumbs. This was much easier than rolling over a bag of cereal with a rolling pin.

Lining a sheet pan with parchment paper eliminates the need to wash a dirty pan.  LOVE parchment paper!

I served the chicken along side Potato Pea Cakes.  Mashed potato cakes sprinkled with peas throughout.  A great, healthy alternative to french fries.  Absolutely fun and delicious!


 

As in the words of Guy Fieri, this was a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner"!  Oh I'm such a goof ball.
Enjoy everyone! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We haven't tried either of those! They both look delicious! How fun for a Superbowl party or any day!

    ReplyDelete