Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stir fry

Some nights there just doesn't seem to be enough time.  With homework, activities, work and life the task of getting a healthy meal on the table can be daunting.  But I've found that a stir fry is great for those busy nights.


Packed with veggies, it's nutritious.  I like to add peppers of various colors, mushrooms, pea pods, onions and whatever else I may have on hand.  The more colorful it is, the more appealing it is to eat.
Sometimes I'll add some chicken for when Dan thinks he needs a little something extra. ;)

 
Roman loves to add bamboo shoots.
"Mama! Did you know that bamboo is a kind of grass?"
"No buddy, I didn't!"
 
I'm thinking he may have learned this here.
 
I also love this Chinese Brown Sauce recipe.  It's lower in salt than straight up Soy Sauce.  And for that I like to use Braggs.
 
Chinese Brown Sauce - via Forks Over Knives
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup date molasses or brown rice syrup
2 tsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp arrowroot powder
 
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Store refrigerated in air tight container for up to 1 week.
 
 
And really, what's more fun or a better excuse to use your chopsticks?
 
I found Sophia's chopsticks here.
 
 
What are some of your quick and healthy meal ideas?
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy and I never think of doing stir fry! Adding it to my rotation - I think the girls would enjoy it - we would too. Oh and I think I'll grab those chopsticks for them as well for Christmas. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete