Wednesday, January 9, 2013

After school snack

As much as I hated to see our vacation end; I did look forward to the return of routine.  We seemed to have returned to our groove with ease. 

Something I truly enjoy doing is making or baking the kids a nutritious snack for them to come home to.  My son's class eats lunch pretty early; so when he gets home he's famished!  I want to make sure both my kiddos have something to eat that will fill them up and is healthy for him too.

Rice crispy treats are a memorable favorite for me when I was a kid.  However, the store bought version is full of corn syrup and the recipe you make at home is loaded in sugary marshmallows.

This recipe uses Brown Rice Syrup to get it's sweetness.  Brown rice syrup is a healthy, natural alternative to sugar, honey, maple and corn syrup and molasses.  You can find it in natural food stores or sections of grocery stores.

The recipe also packs a nutritious punch from high-protein almond and peanut butters!

 

When the rice syrup and nut butters are heated, the consistency is very smooth and creamy.  Using a small amount (1/4 cup) of cocoa powder gives these treats the perfect amount of chocolaty goodness.

 
 
After letting the mixture set for about 5 minutes, I rolled it into balls for a different and fun change to the usual bar form.
 
The recipe made 16 balls.  There are only 3 left!  The kids and hubby gobbled them up. 
Try making these next time you make a healthy after school snack!

3 comments:

  1. These look great. Riley is always begging for the Trader Joes ones....but I definetely want to make these from scratch and I know with the chocolate, they will be an even bigger hit! Another great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love that there's extra protein in there too with the nut butters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My kids snack all day, so this is something that I want to try! I never have brown rice syrup, but I do always have raw honey, so I might change that ingredient. I am pretty much incapable of following a recipe as is :-)

    ReplyDelete