To satisfy their craving, if only for a short while, I made up some muffins using frozen berries we picked last summer. I love opening my freezer or going into the basement to "shop" for ingredients that we ourselves have put by.
These delicious muffins are jammed packed with berries, 2 cups to be exact. Along with other yummy things like oats and chia seeds you can feel good knowing the family is starting their day off right!
I changed up this recipe from the original to fit my family's needs so feel free to do the same.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup rice milk
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- 2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and combine.
- 3. Combine the egg, vanilla extract, milk, oil and chia seeds in a separate bowl.
- 4. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- 5. Gently mix the frozen berries into the batter, do not over mix or the berries will bleed.
- 6. Pour batter into greased or muffin lined regular sized tins.
- 7. Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- 8. Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes then remove to a cooling rack.
- 9. Serve
When my son says "Mom, these are the best muffins you've ever made" I know they're good! These will be good in the school lunch boxes for a healthy snack as well.