A day filled with good food, family and of course Easter candy. The candy part is a tricky one for me. Although I want my kids to enjoy the day and all that comes with it, moderation is key. Sometimes, this can be a challenge.
One thing I can do is start their day off nutritiously. So I made Carrot Cake Pancakes. Filled with a substantial amount of carrots in a whole wheat base, I feel good knowing they have a good foundation in their bellies. :)
Carrot Cake Pancakes via Weelicious
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour ( I used Whole Wheat Pastry flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup peeled and finely grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 cup milk ( I used Rice Milk)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar. Add the grated carrots to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- 2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil.
- 3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- 4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly coat with butter or oil.
- 5. Pour about 1 tablespoon of the pancake mixture onto the griddle, making as many pancakes as will fit and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6. Flip the pancakes and cook for one minute longer.
- 7. In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and honey until thoroughly combined and serve on top of the pancakes
These were absolutely delicious! There's alot of carrot in here so I wondered if they would have the consistency of a fritter versus a pancake. Each cake was light and fluffy! The carrots were tender and the cake resembled the spice cake of a traditional carrot cake. I think I've started a new Easter breakfast tradition! But truly, these are delicious any time! In fact, I'd love to make these with my rainbow carrots I will be growing in the garden this year!